Understanding construction contractsCourse overview
This session provides an overview of two contracts, focusing on the newly revised HIA Contract Agreement and comparing it with the JCT Minor Works 2011, to help you understand their content, impact and implementation.
Who should attend?
This course assumes no prior legal knowledge. It is aimed at contract administrators and technical officers from Home Improvement Agencies.
What you will learn
After this session you will be able to:
- Create legally binding contracts
- Understand the role of pre-contract documents
- Choose an appropriate form of contract
- Administer the contractual mechanisms relating to time, cost and quality in both the newly revised HIA Contract Agreement and the JCT Minor Works
- Understand your options when the project does not go to plan
- Creating a contract
- Pre-contract processes including letters of intent
- Choosing a contract strategy
- Analysing the newly revised HIA contract and JCT Minor Works (for comparison)
- Roles of client, contractor, contract administrator and outside agencies
- Dealing with changes in scope, time and quality
- Remedies when the home improvements project goes wrong.
Feedback from previous delegates
Alison Goodall, Managing director at Independent Home Solutions CIC: 'I'm happy to write about this workshop which was facilitated by Sarah Fox. You'd think the subject of contracts for a whole day would be dry and dare I say it, boring. But no, it was very engaging, clear, interactive, informative and highly enjoyable. If you ever need to know about JCT (and other works contracts) get booked on this course.'
Overall, the delegates have rated this course as follows:
Trainer's knowledge of subject: 91.29%
Training delivery (interesting, stimulating, supportive): 94.29%
Course materials (well presented, useful): 100%
Course was enjoyable and beneficial: 94.29%
Course will help me do my job better: 85.71%
Would recommend this course to others: 85.71%
Date: 27 September 2016
Cost: £150 + VAT
Venue: Southwark Council, 160 Tooley Street, London, SE1 2QH
To book a place, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.